Gulfport is famous for its seaside attractions including the dolphin sightseeing tours, island excursions and the Gulf Islands Waterpark, as well as the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies, but no visit to Mississippi’s second largest city would be complete without sampling some of the world class Japanese cuisine available in its local restaurants.
1. Koi Sushi, on Highway 49, serves top quality authentic sushi. This casually elegant restaurant offers some of the freshest sushi in Gulfport. Guests can pull up a seat and eat at the bar, or enjoy Hibachi or dine-in seating while savouring the diverse flavours on offer. Children are welcome and the whole family can enjoy watching the chefs prepare the food in front of their eyes with dazzling knife skills and flaming cooking displays. Not far from the Gulfport airport this is a wonderful first stop for any trip to the city.
2. Rock N Roll Sushi, on 25th Ave, mixes a rock and roll theme with sushi in a unique and stylish setting. The service here is second to none and the atmosphere is welcoming and friendly. The staff are also happy to help guests with choosing their food, so if you’re new to sushi this could be a great place to start your journey through Japanese cuisine. With dishes such as the Headbanger Shrimp, the Tuna twister and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers Roll you’re bound to enjoy this rare gem.
3. Sumo, located on Beach Blvd, is a fun and relaxing place where you can get sushi food or steakhouse dishes. It’s a great place to go if some of your party aren’t sold on the sushi, so they can have a juicy steak while others partake in the full sushi experience. They run regular special offers, including 50% off Sushi rolls on Sundays, as well as a Monday to Friday Happy Hour at the bar, making this an ideal place for business lunches and dinners as well as family outings and even graduation parties. This restaurant really has something for everybody!
4. Hana Sushi and Pho, on Pass Rd, is a lovely concept restaurant that serves Japanese and Vietnamese food. It’s a clean and inviting environment, perfect for families, and the food is superb. The staff here are famously helpful and are happy to assist if you need some guidance with the menu. Well known for the freshness of their fish, and one of the locals’ favourites, the shrimp salad, this is a must visit for anyone in the Gulfport area who loves their Asian cuisine.
5. Samurai Japanese Cuisine Sushi Bar and Grill, on Sangani Blvd, serves delicious freshly made dishes with excellent service. Best known for their Poke Bowls, which feature sushi grade seafood on a bed of rice, garnished with a wide range of ingredients that include seaweed salads, sesame seeds and green onions. They also offer you the opportunity to make up your own poke bowl to suit your tastes. It’s a fun concept and its well done. Be sure to try some of the restaurants signature sauces with your poke bowl to really experience the taste of Japan.